Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Words, Words, Words

I'm sure you all have seen the cards (primarily mixed media) that use cut-out words for their sentiments, such as this pretty example here. I've used this idea before and loved the effect, so I decided to try it again on a Christmas card.

Here's the final result:


Now, you'll notice that my words are matted. Without the mats, the words looked very floaty on the card, and this did not look good. I realized that on the mixed media cards, the cut-out words typically rest on a colorful background, which makes them stand out beautifully. My card had no colorful background against which to stand out, and colored mats (say, in red to match the Stickles or gray to match the tree) would have been distracting and busy for my style. The white-on-white gives the perfect little bit of visual weight to the words without distracting. At least, that is how it looks to me.

All the cutting was by hand with scissors, so there's a loose, imperfect feel to the words that matches the imperfections of the font, which I just love immoderately.


Here's the card all by itself. *happy little sigh*



Now, if all this white space and simplicity has you feeling itchy, just wait for tomorrow's card, which has a lot less white space and simplicity, but still showcases cut-out words.

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Penny Black (tree), Tim Holtz (words from a large background stamp)
ink: Archival watering can, red geranium
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: Stickles, scissors, glue pen


6 comments:

  1. I admit I am one of your followers who does get a bit 'itchy' from time to time, but the amount of words on this one helps belay that feeling. Was wondering if a white or silver penned frame around the words would help grounding. Not sure if the drawing of borders would be any easier than the hand cutting of the mats...just a thought. I grew up in Southern California and your grey tree reminds me of our aluminum tree we had, since evergreens cost a month's wages.
    Loving your Christmas series of cards!
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad worked for Alcoa when I was very little. We had an aluminum tree, too! The matting I did was super easy with a glue pen and tweezers. Outlining might work but might also make it too busy. Give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I'm a bit itchy, yes. But I love your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet and elegant too..love how you added the ransom style words.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!