Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Using Background Stamps: Part 5

Today, we're going to take a look at how background stamps can be placed differently on a card for different effect.

First up, a centered placement gives an even border and very stable, peaceful design. Please ignore the bow...it's an embellishment too far.



Next, an off-the-edge placement gives a sense of movement to the design. It's almost like a breeze is fluttering here.




I prefer the second card, but perhaps that's just because of the bow. Those hydrangea punches with light purple bling make me really happy, and it's wonderful how the white punched shapes show up on the darker purple woven background stamp. Love that!

Don't be afraid to experiment with placement of background stamps. They don't have to be front and center. Off-set or asymmetrical designs can be extremely successful.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (discontinued background), SU Botanical Silhouettes, Papertrey Ink (sentiments)
paper: Papertrey white
ink: Memento
accessories: Martha Stewart hydrangea punches, rhinestones, craft thread, glue pen

9 comments:

  1. Enjoying this series, as always. Thanks for the design tips & tricks. I like the second card the best, mainly because 'pink' is often my personal 'puce'. I couldn't remember the other ink colour that I know you don't 'like'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both but especially the first one. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cards - both of them! Asymmetrical is hard for me so the first is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also prefer card 2 but I think it is more to do with the strong colour and the placement of the stamp-really enjoying your background stamp series x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are beautiful, Susan! I actually like the little bow - I can see a triangle - LOL - the bow, the gems and the sentiment!

    The second card is very striking though, with the white flowers on the dark stamped image :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the second card - it makes me think of a beautiful lightweight muslin scarf. I also like the first card but I agree, I'd like it better without the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On first look, I'd probably wouldn't have even recognized these as the same background stamp. It just goes to show what color and placement can do. The 2nd card reminds me of cheesecloth and almost looks 3-D. Placing the image to look like it's coming over the edge is a great look. I'd be inclined to open up the entire card before scoring, then do the stamping over where the fold would eventually be, then folding it so part of the image was on the back. I'm kind of odd that way. ;-) I like it when you show 2 variations that are similar yet dissimilar. You're a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I am so happy to see that Hero Arts background stamp used again...I love both cards and now I need to pull that stamp out to play with it again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!