Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Matter of Style

As I worked through my non-SU flower box of stamps for the Use-Your-Stamps Challenge, I found myself making two cards for contrast: one with a loose, sketchy single flower (don't judge her!) and one with a stylized group of flowers. Check out the contrast in the cards.




In the first card, I used the single flower and stem (Hampton Arts), colored with markers, for the field of flowers on the bottom and then just inked the flower blossom to make the sun on top. The loose arrangement of flowers meant the natural place for the sentiment was in the upper-left-hand sweet spot of the card. Yellow bling in the flower centers and in the center of the sun unified the design, in addition to the repetition of the image.

In the second card, the single stamp of four flowers (Hero Arts) stands rather orderly and tight...nothing loose about it. A larger version of the flower, which is a single stamp, wood-mounted, fills in for the sun, although the largest flower of the group could have worked, too. But remember, I'm trying to use all my stamps, right? The arrangement of the flowers meant I had to move the sentiment into the lower-right-hand sweet spot, but otherwise, the two cards have an awful lot in common.

Which do you like better? For the most part, this is a matter of taste. Some people like looser styles, and some like tighter styles. Really, it doesn't matter. Design-wise, the bottom card edges the top out slightly, though, but only because the larger-scale sun on the lower card works better. If only I had a larger version of the sketchy flower! But alas, we work with what we have.

And they both make me happy.

Supplies
stamps: Hampton Arts (sketchy flower...very old), Hero Arts (stylized flowers, still available), Papertrey Ink (sentiment, Everyday Blessings)
ink: SU markers (real red, summer sun, old olive), Memento (dark cocoa)
paper: Papertrey Ink white
accessories: yellow rhinestones

21 comments:

  1. I like the second one better. But I like the first one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both Susan, although if pushed I like the bolder looking colours in the second one. Thank you for the design tips :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both cards, but I like the bottom one slightly better. I couldn't put my finger on it until I read your last paragraph. I do like the larger 'sun'. Thanks for another design lesson. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the bottom card more but it's funny that if I only saw the stamps, I would like the top flower better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the bottom card is more pleasing because the sun is larger. But I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your second card. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like most, I like the second one better. I like the bold look. However, the second one would be perfect for an individual who is a more 'open and free spirit' kind of person. I usually try to make a card that is 'right' for the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Both cards are so pretty. I do like the second one a little better as I tend towards less "sketchy" artwork. Thanks for another lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Second one is my favorite just hits all the right points for me.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like them both. Now, I need to find that larger flower you used for the sun in the bottom card. I have the group of flowers stamp but did not know there was another coordinating stamp with a larger "blossom" ! Eek! Must have...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the second one better - not because of your card design, but because I like the stamps better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both are lovely, but the second appeals to me more. I think I just like the flowers more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They both make me happy, although the second appeals to my 'neat and tidy' streak! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both cards and would have a hard time picking which one I like best. I have really enjoyed all the cards you have been posting lately...they are very inspiring. If I ever get time to stamp again (I'm in school full time now), your blog will be the first place I look for inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't decide! Really was at first just attracted to the colors used. After reading your words of wisdom and all the comments, I logged out then came for another look - and now like the second one just a bit more. Very interesting discussion. Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok -- I am odd man out here. I like the loose design better. The bottom card looks too geometric to me and resembles paint blotches... Both are fine, just like the openness of the top flowers. I was always told my taste is all in my mouth! I follow your blog daily and am learning a LOT. I still think of you every time I clean up clutter and create white space in my home! It works!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you, jkbrochad! I really love that stamp so much and am glad someone likes that card better!!!!

    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the first one because you've reminded me that I have that stamp in my drawer and it's been ages since I last used it. It's great to revisit old stamps and put a new spin on them. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Susan, I liek them both but I prefer the top card because I also have that stamp and it's one of my all time favourites. You just can't go wrong with it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a flower, I prefer the style of the first, but the second set works better as a sun. Also, I find the layout on the second is more interesting, and the color is more saturated giving the design more "punch". So, I have to lean towards card 2, even though I love the flower in #1. Funny how that works sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!