Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New Hero Arts Goodies: Quicky Coloring Works!

Of course I had to place an order when Diane at Stampin'Treasures had her big sale last week. Of course I had to play with my new goodies as soon as I got them. And of course I have to share the results with you.

It's gonna take DAYS. Oh my word. Where to start?

Antique Engravings isn't a set that I would naturally gravitate toward, seeing as the images beg to be colored and are rather, well, antique looking. You all know that I don't like coloring very much and don't "do" distressed (at least not happily). But something about this set has called to me since December when I first saw the 2010 Hero Arts Catalog.

And then, last week, it was on SALE. So I bought it. You see, there was this video tutorial by Jennifer McGuire about quick-coloring butterflies that made me think coloring these images might not be so bad after all.

I love it when a plan comes together.


The coloring was sloppily done with Bic Mark-It markers because the image was going to be cut out anyway and I don't have Copics. Pretty cool, huh? I hope the shading shows in the photo so you can see that Jennifer McGuire is a genius. I colored the antennae with a chocolate marker on the stamp and stamped them directly onto the screen shadow background so I wouldn't have to cut them out (tedious! hard! no way!).

The screen shadow background is also a new purchase. It looks fine on the green butterfly card, but I like it even better on the next card. I failed to ink it completely (the dew drop pad was drier than I thought), but when I stamped it, it looked so nifty, I decided to go with it.


I like this version even better. The butterfly and sentiment are both bigger and the scale works better. And check out that shading on my butterfly...totally easy, folks!

So, we lazy colorers CAN make lovely things of a set like Antique Engravings. I've also colored in some of these images with chalk (remember chalk? Yeah, I know, NOT ONE of the cool kids uses chalk anymore, but nothing's too out of style for dorky LateBlossom!) and Twinkling H2Os (easy peasy and sparkly, too!). I'll show a few of those cards later this week, but tomorrow is the One-Layer Wednesday challenge, and boy, howdy, I'm excited about it!

Don't forget LOST tonight. I am soooo ready for the mysteries of the wacky island to be solved so I can move on with my life.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (all but thinking of you sentiment, which is from SU's Sincere Salutations)
ink: Palette Dark Chocolate, various others
paper: PTI White
accessories: Bic Mark-It markers

31 comments:

  1. Both of these cards are stunning. The butterfly images are WONDERFUL. I'm proud of you that you colored. I think I'll publicly challenge you to purchase a couple Copics and just TRY them. Once you start using them there's no going back. Seriously. I loved those butterflies Jennifer made - breathtaking. John and I have only recently become interested in Lost - so we joined Netflix and started with season One. Tomorrow we should receive the last dvd from that season. Boone was just died in the last one we watched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great cards Susan.....
    I only have a few copics and have been playing with them...will have to try out my Bic's too.
    Didn't know you were a LOST groupie...can't wait till tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your cards, as usual...i keep putting off getting this stamp set, but tell me why now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from another Lost fan. I'm a real dork and even listen to a weekly Lost podcast by a Hawaiian couple. I've accepted that many of the mysteries won't be answered. Why was Walt "special" and why did the Others want him?

    Great cards, as usual. I especially love the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Susan Raihala you cost me a whole lot of money! I love that background stamp! Both of these cards are just beautiful and I can't wait to see the rest!

    And every Tuesday my husband and I joke "Tonight there will be answers!". It has to happen soon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That background stamp is a 'must have'! I'm headed to the city for some shopping right now - will have to try and find it! Your cards (as usual) are gorgeous! Would love a tutorial on coloring with the Bic Mark Its - I have some and just can't seem to make them work! Beautiful work - off I go to spend some money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...by the way - I do still use chalk! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous! I love that stamp set and your layout is just simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooooh this is THE set that I've been drooling over since the new catty came out!! I can't find it anywhere in my local stores!!! Your cards are amazing! The not all inked screen is amazing! Your quick color is amazing (I knew you'd love it!!). Can't wait to see what you did with chalk and H2Os!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow Jennifer's blog so these butterflies are not news to me but I simply adore butterflies and her video of them was just great. Her choice of colours is something I want to know as I only have a few Copics really and admire her colouring...love your cards...and the background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them both, Susan - they are beautiful! I will use anything that I have - chalk included:)

    I'm anxious for Lost to be over, too. Somehow I don't think we are going to learn everything that we want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Susan! These are both BEAUTIFUL! I shy away from coloring too. If you saw my last coloring project you would see why, LOL. I will check out the video. This has certainly inspired me to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I love them both. And hey, I pulled out my chalks and created a card I just posted. I had forgotten my love of them and rekindled my affair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow these are both beautiful! LOVE that background stamp and the butterflies are PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great use of the screen shadow stamp and your coloring turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are beautiful so elegant am loving the background stamp !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful butterflies. I guess I'm dorky too since I love my chalks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the butterflies! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely coloring on your butterflies - I love the simplicity of these cards. And I totally agree with you about LOST - I am still so confused I just can't wait for it to end so I know what's going on...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your butterflies are gorgeous!! I keep telling myself - "I don't need any more butterfly images!!" and you are not helping!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just loved your cards, and the beautiful coloring on the butterflies. Had no idea you could achieve this look without Copics, which I'd LOVE to have, but just can't justify, as they're so expensive. So, as Patty J suggested, maybe you should do a coloring tutorial for us.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another chalk-dork here. I love the subtle shading and colors possible only with chalks

    Never heard of "Lost", maybe because Tuesday is American Idol night? I will have to get some Lost from Netflix. Learn all sorts of fun things here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful creations, Susan! I'm a sucker for anything with butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  24. GORGEOUS. Gorgeous cards. I have Jennifer's tutorial bookmarked, but haven't had a chance to try it out for myself yet. Her's, and Donelda's, and of course your b'flies are fab, so I may just have to try tomorrow.
    A fellow Lost fan! Love the show. This season has been great. Every Wednesday, I go read this blog http://nikkistafford.blogspot.com/ as Nikki has a fun and geeky take on the previous evening's episode.
    Will you be giving helpful tips on using chalks? (She asks hopefully...)

    ReplyDelete
  25. simply gorgeous!! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOw! They are both gorgeous! Love that screen stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've just discovered your blog and I'm really enjoying reading it and looking at your awesome cards. Love those butterfly cards and like your clean and simple style

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the background especially the 'failed' one, very effective.
    You have definitely passed your colouring badge with flying ummm 'colours' ;) Wonderful .....
    Thanks for the link to Jennifer McGuire's video .... brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  29. There's nothing dorky about using chalks and th2o's--I use them all the time. On second thought, maybe that proves it (Ha!) Had Copic markers and sold them to someone else who's taking a class on how to use them. SU markers work well for me with a blender pen, starting out light and adding darker shades. Just made cards with cut-out flowers that I scribbled over and cut out--great "technique". LOVE your butterflies, and especially the orange background.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! Can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely cards! Both are knockouts, but if I had to choose the orange is my favorite. I use chalks all the time. Love them! My chalks are falling apart, I wonder if SU! still carries them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!